Opuszczasz polską wersję strony.
Na stronie anglojęzycznej nie będziesz mieć możliwości kontynuacji zakupów.
Czy chcesz przejść na wersję anglojęzyczną?
His Vienna period, despite the complicated family situation and the heavy demands of work, brought him great satisfaction (friendship with E. Mandyczewski) and improvement of his difficult material existence. In Autumn of 1907 he stayed in Warsaw; from 2 X 1908 he was the artistic director of the Warsaw Philharmonic, and a month later he appeared there as a conductor. Attempting to raise the level of the falling orchestra he engaged G. Fitelberg for 12 concerts and iniciated a change in politics of the repertoire, he promoted Karłowicz’s works and symphonic works of composers lesser known in Poland such as Schumann, Bruckner and Elgar. In March 1909 he resigned from the function of director but stayed with the Philharmonic in the position of manager of the evenings of chamber music and oratorios. In the summer of 1910 (also in 1912 with M. Szulc) he led symphonic concerts in the Swiss Valley in Warsaw. In the years 1909–11[12?] he was, on the initiaive of G. Fitelberg, manager of the Warsaw Philharmonic Choir, with whom he performed Franck’s Les Béatitudes in 1910, in 1911 — Mozart’s Requiem and Beethoven’s IX Symphony, and in 1912 he led the premiere of F. Nowowiejski’s Quo vadis. Every year he performed in the Philharmonic with his chamber music evenings and with symphonic concerts for young people organised by the M. Sobolewska singing school. On 1 II 1912 he undertook work in the L. Marczewski music high school in Warsaw, he continued to travel to Lviv and Łódź (until 1919). In the years before the first world war, again not having permanent occupation, he concentrated on piano, reaching the peak of his technical and musical abilities; he aroused amazment with the ambitious programmes of his Chopin recitals (for example in Warsaw 29 XI 1912 and 4 XI 1913); he also performed in Petersburg (1913), Berlin, Kiev and the Crimea; in 1913 he performed for the first time in Poznan. From October 1915 until 1 III 1916 he was the artisitic director of the opera in Warsaw. He resigned due to conflict in the matters of repertoire, as he was against presenting German operas in Warsaw, which was occupied by the German army. He was given a regretted farewell at a composers’ concert in the Grand Theatre 10 III 1916. In 1916 the composer performed the complete sonatas of Beethoven in the chamber music hall of Herman and Grossman in Warsaw, talking about their form; linking concerts and a pre-concert lecture became something new in Warsaw musical life. From 1917 he devoted much time to the Polish Artistic Club. He was its first and longtime president and a tireless organizer of concerts, especially of contemporary music. In the end of 1917 he took the piano class at the Conservatory after A. Michalowski, and in January 1922 - the position of Director after E. Młynarski, in 1925 he also took the composition class after R. Statkowski. At the university he introduced a new curriculum and changed the scope of examinations, organized the choir and school orchestra, enlivened concert activity and the opera class, he made high artistic demands of teachers and students, and sought to gain Szymanowski. As a member of the WTM committee he collaborated on editions of works by Moniuszko and Karłowicz. From 1921, he was president of the Union of Polish Musicians’ Associations (later the Polish Musicians' Association), from 1922 – a member of the selection committee of the Polish section of ISCM, in the years 1922 to 1925 president of the newly formed Association for the Promotion of Symphonic Music. On 16 XII 1925 the jubilee of the 30th anniversary of his artistic work was held at the Warsaw Philharmonic (repeated in Łódź). In December 1926 he resigned as a director of the conservatory in protest against the unjustified - in his view - violation of university autonomy through visitations ordered by the ministry; he remained as professor of piano, in 1927 he was a juror of the 1st F. Chopin International Piano Competition. On account of his developing heart disease he performed and conducted less frequently. Melcer-Szczawiński’s last concert as a composer was led by K. Wiłkomirski at the Warsaw Philharmonic 22nd Jan 1928. Henryk Melcer-Szczawiński died suddenly during a lesson at the conservatory. He left two daughters: Wanda (married name Sztekkerowa, primo voto Rutkowska, † 4 Apr 1972) and Maria (married name Stromengerowa, † 13 Apr 1959).
Barbara Chmara-Żaczkiewicz, Encyklopedia Muzyczna PWM t. 6 – „M”
Administratorem dobrowolnie podanych danych osobowych jest Polskie Wydawnictwo Muzyczne z siedzibą w Krakowie (31-111) przy Al. Krasińskiego 11A. Twoje dane osobowe będą przetwarzane w celu wysyłki Newslettera zawierającego informacje marketingowe administratora danych. Posiada Pani/Pan prawo dostępu do treści oraz poprawiania swoich danych osobowych. Informujemy, iż poza podmiotami uprawnionymi na podstawie przepisów prawa, zebrane dane osobowe nie będą udostępniane.